St. Paul Catholic School

School History

 
 
 
The foundation of Catholic education in St. Paul Parish dates back to 1887 when the neighboring Convent of the Sacred Heart opened a free school for the children of the parish.  The small, four room building served as the parish school for nearly 40 years.
 
In 1926, the parish decided to build its own school.  Plans for the high school were soon enlarged to include a new elementary school. The parish purchased property behind the church, and on September 6, 1927 the new St. Paul Catholic School opened its doors.  According to Pastor Alonzo Nacy, it was "a parish school second to none in the state or, for that matter, the nation."  Despite its large size, parish growth and enrollment soon filled the school to capacity.
 
In 1951, an addition was built.  In 1963, a second addition consisting of eleven classrooms, the full-size gymnasium, and the cafeteria provided St. Paul with the excellent facilities it enjoys today.  In 1971, the high school closed, and St. Paul focused on elementary and junior high school students.  
 
St. Paul Catholic School has continued to grow in stature and service to the parish community.  A kindergarten program was instituted in 1975 and a pre-school program was added in 1993.  A half-day young fives program was initiated in 2003.  An extended day care program also was added in 2003.  In 2004, a full-day kindergarten option was added. The Michigan Association of Non-Public Schools accredits St. Paul Catholic School. In 2006, the school was designated a Blue Ribbon School by the U.S. Department of Education.
 
The importance of St. Paul Catholic School can never be fully measured, but it is real and genuine.  Our graduates are the true witnesses to the support of the parish family, and of the faith rooted in the minds, hearts, and souls of the pioneers of yesterday and today.